Protection & Control Engineer
0 – 10%
MKEC Engineering, Inc.
Protection & Control Engineer
MKEC is a multi-disciplined engineering and planning firm providing professional design services for 6 major service areas on a national scope through our 200+ associates located in Wichita, Kansas City, and Oklahoma City. Our history includes 35 years of solid growth through the development of employees and loyal clients. We value creative problem solving and personal initiative within the context of a true team-oriented culture. Our employees have a can-do attitude and understand the importance of client service. If you possess these skills and attitudes and are attracted to the leadership opportunities of a growth environment, MKEC might be right for you.
MKEC is seeking a qualified Protection & Control (P&C) Engineer to join our team in either our Wichita or Overland Park office.
- Electrical Engineering bachelor’s degree from an ABET accredited program.
- Professional Engineer (PE) license in the State of Kansas preferred.
- Minimum of 5-7 years in Relay Protection & Control design experience.
- Skilled at using industry-specific software including AutoCAD, MathCAD, ETAP, Aspen One-Liner, etc.
- Knowledge of various vendor software including SEL, ABB, and GE relay programming software.
- Awareness of industry codes and standards for P&C design/requirements including the NESC, RUS standards, and other industry standards.
- Experience in other areas of the Electric Utility industry including Transmission and Substation design is preferable.
- Able to manage multiple projects within deadlines.
- Experience with Microsoft Office.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Able to work in a collaborative environment.
- Occasional travel for site visits and client meetings may be required.
- Strong attention to detail is a must.
- Responsible for relay protection and control engineering associated with medium to high voltage projects – 2.4kV thru 345kV
- Perform analysis and calculations necessary to develop protection & control design packages successfully.
- Create design criteria and material specifications appropriate for the designs, integrating client supplied standards and requirements.
- Develop one-lines, three-lines, schematic diagrams, wiring and connection diagrams.
- Use relay protection principles and practices for the application of electro-mechanical, solid-state and microprocessor relays.
- Routinely develop relaying setting files using vendor specific software packages for various types of microprocessor-based relays.
- Develop conceptual/feasibility studies, cost estimating, development of design drawings, material specifications, bill of materials, bid documents, relay settings, coordination studies, etc.
- Continual interaction with vendors and/or Clients.
MKEC offers a competitive compensation package in addition to the following benefits:
- Group Health Plan
- Dental Plan
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Holiday Pay
- Disability Insurance – Short & Long-Term
- Life Insurance / AD&D
- Flex Spending Account
- 401k Retirement Plan
- Profit Sharing Pension
- YMCA Reduced Membership
- YMCA Wellness Coach
MKEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer